Foia Request for financial documents regarding the Fairview Plaza Firehouse
There is already a firehouse, found at the entrance to Fairview park. I think it was 2019 when I first heard about the plans to construct a new firehouse. I inquired & was told it would be around $5 million dollars (at a council meeting). I was also told that it was necessary because the old firehouse is degrading (at a council meeting), because the old firehouse doesn't have sufficient fire exits (by lisa gregory at a council meeting), and because the old firehouse isn't great for co-ed housing (by Mayor Wolfe after a council meeting).
It's possible this is necessary infrastructure work. An extended family member who was a first responder for the fire dept (out of a different firehouse) told me the fairview firehouse has needed this for years. I'm highly skeptical. I suspect preventative maintenance could have been done. Or the existing building could be built on to.
Why do I care? It's a lot of money that could go toward more consequential projects. It's also a lot of materials that pull from a limited supply on our planet. It's also on a lot that I believe is privately owned & I wonder if that brings an additional cost.
The actual Request I made
I'm looking for all financial information/records & contracts regarding the construction and ongoing maintenance of the new firehouse in Fairview Plaza.
The information i request includes, but is not limited to:
- a list of all entities hired to construct the firehouse and the amount each entity was paid (or will be paid) for their work.
- any alternate proposals that were not chosen, including proposals to repair & refurbish the existing firehouse outside fairview park
- any documents regarding the land on which the new firehouse is built (lease, purchase agreement, etc)
- any documents regarding the work done on the parking lot or street prior to / after / in service of the new firehouse (grant agreements, contracts for work)
Thanks -- Reed Sutman
- September 2, 2021: I sent the foia request to FOIACityClerk@decaturil.gov
- September 13, 2021: I received response from Kim Althoff (City Clerk)
- September 15, 2021:
- I downloaded the files from the city's sharepoint
- I organized the files into the site's files.
- September 16, 2021:
- FOIA Request made publicly available on this site.
- review the files
- Record important information
- Is there a perpetual lease or does Decatur own the land?
- Who's profitting from the construction?
- Was the construction truly necessary? Were there motives beyond the actual function it serves?
- What's the timeline of this development?
- Who initiated the construction efforts?
- ... other questions ...
- How much money was spent?
- Where did the funds come from?
- Agreements between City and Fairview Park Plaza.pdf
- Decatur Fire Station Assessment Report 16_022_compressed.pdf
- Final Plat.pdf
- Letter to Reed Sutman.pdf
- Owner's Declaration.pdf
- Proposals including alternates.pdf
- Roadway Plans Pavement Curbs Sidewalks Medians.pdf
- Robinson Engineering Underground Storage Tank.pdf
Feedback, Corrections, More Info
If you have anything to add, you can reach me on Facebook @LoveDecatur