Decatur IL Cops pull over way more black people than white people | 2018
Illinois Department of Transportation conducts a Traffic Stop Study that requires local police departments to submit data to the state.
Black people are stopped and searched by police at a much higher rate than white people, at least in Decatur. If want to know why, call / email the police chief
- 13,088 African American people, or 21% of total population
- 46,224 Caucasian American people, or 75.58% of total population
- 2696 black people stopped, or 46% of all stops.
- 2969 white people stopped
- 1211 black people cited, 51% of all citations.
- 1101 white people cited, 46% of all citations
- 154 black people searched, or 58% of all searches.
- 67 items found from searching black people.
- 43.5% of African Americans searched had contraband
- 106 white people searched
- 62 items found from searching white people
- 58% of Caucasian Americans searched had contraband
- Population Data comes from the 2018 IPSS Agency Reports on page 95
- Traffic Stop Data comes from the 2018 ITSS Statewide and Agency Reports
- DPD is on page 196. The Park District is on page 195. Macon County Sheriff is on page 484. We only highlight DPD data on this page.
- Information about the study is available on IDOT.illinois.gov